Vice President of Communications Overview:
This role is strategic and has a heavy emphasis on brand management and integrated communication strategies to advance GHHI’s mission and growth. This role is responsible for managing all communications plan activities and building external relationships with the organization’s constituencies, including funders, nonprofit and governmental partners, and the media. In collaboration and as part of GHHI senior leadership team, the Vice President of Communications will design, develop and implement communications and branding strategies to support organizational mission, goals and objectives of the Green & Healthy Homes Initiative supporting and encouraging an internal culture driven by collaboration and innovation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, drive, and execute strategic communications plans and tactics in support of GHHI’s mission, managing development of all print materials, social media and online communications;
- Create and implement messaging and content strategy in partnership with business development, policy, and fund development team — including editorial calendar, website, social media platforms and assisting with media relations;
- Create and manage short and long-term plans and budgets for print and electronic communications;
- Develop and maintain strong visual identity and brand recognition for the organization;
- Supervise Communications Department staff;
- Train staff and partners on best practices around branding and communications.
- In coordination with other departments, produce all event-related and program collateral pieces;
- Oversee production of in-house graphic design work for national and local sites to include magazine, infographics, e-communications, annual report, blog and marketing materials;
- Coordinate with agencies and freelance designers and writers on projects as needed;
- Collaborate with communications consultant, and communications associate to ensure all internal and external materials reflect consistent image and logo use. Oversee development of videos, interactive materials, etc.;
- Coordinate photography for all external and internal events/activities;
- Oversee and manage organization’s website.
GHHI is seeking an accomplished Communications professional who has 5+ years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, white papers and policy documents, and funder communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
Specific requirements include:
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence.”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
Physical & Mental Qualifications:
- This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Nature of work requires an ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, with an ability to work effectively in a multi-tasking environment.
- Usually works in an office environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
- Works a standard work week, but additionally will often work evenings, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities.
- Occasional travel as required.
The ideal candidate will have the acumen and finesse to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands. He or she must possess exceptional judgment and communication skills and must exhibit the skills to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships, and the capability to interact within all levels of the organization and with external constituents.
Additional Information: This is a full-time exempt position. Position includes full benefits package and competitive salary commensurate with education and experience. This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Green and Healthy Homes Initiative (GHHI) is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive work environment. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.