About the Green & Healthy Homes Initiative
The Green & Healthy Home Initiative (GHHI) is a non-profit organization with the mission of breaking the link between unhealthy housing and unhealthy families. GHHI supports housing, environmental health, and energy efficiency services for families in communities around the country, as well as conducting direct services in Maryland. GHHI’s delivery model is based on its data-driven philosophy that public and private social investments are optimized and social program outcomes are maximized when the energy, health and safety needs of an occupied home are addressed comprehensively, efficiently and simultaneously.
Advancing the social determinants of health and racial equity through healthy housing.
The Green & Healthy Homes Initiative is dedicated to addressing the social determinants of health and the advancement of racial and health equity through the creating of healthy, safe and energy efficient homes. By delivering a standard of excellence in its work, GHHI aims to eradicate the negative health impacts of unhealthy housing and unjust policies for children, seniors and families to ensure better health, economic and social outcomes with an emphasis on black and brown low-income communities.
GHHI effectively integrates funding from private and public sources to deliver results for low-income residents.
The GHHI approach achieves multiple benefits, including healthier and more energy efficient homes, higher quality green jobs, increased economic opportunities for low income communities, and better health outcomes for children and families. GHHI is a social innovation that yields high rates of return on the integration of energy and health-based investments, with strong evidence around lead poisoning prevention, reduction of asthma triggers, supporting older adults to maintain independent living and “age in place,” and resource conservation.
Currently implemented in 30 designated cities nationally, the GHHI integrated service delivery system has fast become a national model for health and housing programs at the local level. GHHI also serves as a key informant to the federal government and associations such as the National League of Cities and the US Conference of Mayors.
The Chief of Staff is charged with supporting the President & CEO (“CEO”) and the senior leadership team, ensuring they are prioritizing the highest impact opportunities in advancing GHHI’s mission and growth. S/he will serve as a strategic thought partner for the CEO, Senior Leadership, and Board of Directors. S/he must also have the demonstrated ability to deal with highly confidential information and act as a liaison between the CEO and other constituencies, both internal and external.
Chief of Staff Responsibilities:
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief of Staff will be part advisor, part gatekeeper, part problem solver, and part all-round strategic partner to develop strategies to meet organizational goals and advance the mission. The role will have both internal and external facing responsibility, including human capital development (day to day management and professional growth for assigned staff members) and project management (including issue advocacy, communications and media work, fundraising, administrative work, and external events).
The Chief of Staff will be responsible for the following:
- Organize and facilitate key CEO priorities: Strategically respond to and prioritize the high-volume demand for the CEO’s time, ensuring that she focuses on the most impactful areas to drive organizational growth and impact. Manage an Executive Assistant who will also support this work.
- Take regular reports from staff and departments, and take steps to ensure maximum efficiency, harmony, and good workflow. Inform the CEO on progress and issues found.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CEO informed of all critical issues.
- Provide direct supervision to [Sr. Manager or Director] of Communications to ensure that all internal and external messaging aligns with organizational mission and goals and represents the voice and vision of the CEO.
- Participate in the CEO’s internal and external communications, both written and spoken. Draft and oversee external communications, as necessary.
- Disseminate information and communicate ideas on behalf of the CEO. Respond on behalf of the CEO, as appropriate, to issues that arise, both internal and external. Facilitate communication across all departments.
- Work to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they bubble up to the CEO.
- Ensure that the CEO is prepared for meetings and events.
- Work closely with the Executive Assistant to the CEO to ensure the appropriate management of the CEO’s calendar so that all priorities are met.
- Support the CEO’s management of leadership team meetings and management of those members.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, nonprofit or related field or equivalent experience in managing Large Scale Initiatives
- Preferred: MBA, business/professional certification
- Must have 7+ years of business or executive management experience and at least two years of experience in a similar position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and knack for productive collaboration across carrying programs.
- Detail oriented and data-driven.
- Possess an encouraging, can-do attitude.
- Impeccable time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Business minded and a strategic planner.
- Proven problem solver who can make clear-headed decisions while under pressure with proficiency, diplomacy and professionalism.
- Highly experienced with project management.
- Self-directed with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and complete discretion when working with confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, video conference, and internet research skills.
- A social justice orientation, including awareness of diversity, equity and inclusion issues.
Physical & Mental Qualifications:
- This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Nature of work requires an ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, with an ability to work effectively in a multi-tasking environment.
- Usually works in an office environment, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
- Works a standard work week, but additionally will often work evenings, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities.
- Occasional travel as required.
The ideal candidate will have the acumen and finesse to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands. He or she must possess exceptional judgment and communication skills and must exhibit the skills to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships, and the capability to interact within all levels of the organization and with external constituents.
Additional Information: This is a full-time exempt position. Position includes full benefits package and competitive salary commensurate with education and experience. This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Green & Healthy Homes Initiative is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive work environment. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Interested candidates should apply online at the following link: GHHI Application