If your house or apartment was built before 1978, there is a high likelihood that it contains lead paint. In 2012, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) eliminated the term “level of concern” when referring to childhood blood lead levels following the long-held understanding that there is no safe level of lead for a child.
Lead-based paint, even if hidden under layers of newer lead-free paint, can break down because of age, poor maintenance, or household repairs and create environmental home health and safety hazards. But lead poisoning is a preventable disease.
Lead poisoning affects an estimated 442,000 children younger than 6 annually in the United States. Lead is a home health and safety hazard that can harm your child’s brain, causing lifelong learning and behavior problems. The symptoms of lead poisoning are not easy to detect, but their effects are long-lasting.
Lead dust in the home is caused by chipping, peeling, flaking or deteriorating lead-based paint. Lead dust is not the same as household dust. Lead dust is often invisible, heavier, and stickier and exists in even the cleanest of homes.
When lead dust is ingested or inhaled, even in miniscule amounts, it can cause significant and irreversible brain damage as well as other health problems. Lead dust equivalent of only three granules of sugar can begin to poison a child.
What can you do to limit exposure?
EPA Renovation, Repair, and Painting Rule: Who Must Comply?
Any contractor who:
What Must Contractors Do to Comply with the EPA RRP Rule?