- Is my
Family at Risk?
- What is a Green
& Healthy Home?
- Home Health
- Get Help
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
If your house or apartment was built before 1978, there is a high likelihood that it contains lead paint. Lead-based paint, even if hidden under layers of newer lead-free paint, can break down because of age, poor maintenance or household repairs and create environmental home health hazards. Lead poisoning is a preventable disease.
In 2012, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) eliminated the term “level of concern” when referring to childhood blood lead levels following the long-held understanding that there is no safe level of lead for a child.
Lead poisoning affects an estimated 535,000 children younger than 6 annually in the United States. Lead is a home health hazard that can harm your child’s brain, causing lifelong learning and behavior problems. The symptoms of lead poisoning are not easy to detect, but its effects are long-lasting.
Lead dust in the home is caused by chipping, peeling, flaking or deteriorating lead-based paint and can exist in even the cleanest of homes. When lead dust is ingested or inhaled, even in minuscule amounts, it can cause significant and irreversible brain damage as well as other health problems. A lead dust equivalent of only three granules of sugar can poison a child.
What can you do to limit exposure?
To learn more about steps you can take to limit exposure, download the EPA's Protect Your Family From Lead in Your Home
EPA Renovation, Repair, and Painting Rule: Who Must Comply?
Any contractor who:
What Must Contractors Do to Comply with the EPA RRP Rule?